Precautions and Contraindications
POWERbreathe - Respiratory muscle training (RMT) / Inspiratory muscle training (IMT) is drug free; suitable for almost anyone and should cause no harmful side effects when used properly. If you have any doubts about the POWERbreathe device’s suitability or you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.
Please read the following - Precautions and Contraindications information, to ensure that you use the POWERbreathe device safely and appropriately:
- Do not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting your doctor.
- To prevent the potential transmission of infections, we recommend that you do not share your POWERbreathe device with other users, including family members.
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- POWERbreathe is designed for exercising your inspiratory muscles only. No other use is intended or implied.
- Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe RMT / IMT with supervision from an adult. The POWERbreathe Medic Plus contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 7 years.
- Whilst training with the POWERbreathe you should feel resistance when inhaling but it should not be painful. If you should feel pain whilst using POWERbreathe, stop immediately and consult your doctor.
- Some users may experience slight ear discomfort when training with POWERbreathe, especially if they are recovering from a cold. This is caused by inadequate equalisation of pressure between the mouth and ears. If symptoms persist, please consult your doctor.
- If you are suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that you do not use your POWERbreathe until symptoms have disappeared. If in doubt, consult your doctor.
Additionally, the following conditions have been highlighted to require guidance from your medical professional, before use of the POWERbreathe device:
- A history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition. Following a traumatic pneumothorax and/or broken rib, POWERbreathe should not be used prior to full recovery.
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Large bullae on chest x-ray
- Marked osteoporosis with history of rib fractures
- Desaturation during or following IMT (<94%)
Respiratory muscle training (RMT) / Inspiratory muscle training (IMT), such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for patients with certain conditions including the following:
- POWERbreathe is not suitable for asthma patients who have low symptom perception and suffer from frequent, severe exacerbations or with an abnormally low perception of dyspnoea.
- Do not use POWERbreathe if you are suffering from a ruptured eardrum or any other condition of the ear.
- POWERbreathe is not suitable for patients with marked elevated left ventricular end-diastolic volume and pressure.
- POWERbreathe is not suitable for patients with worsening heart failure signs and symptoms after RMT / IMT
Please remember: If in doubt, consult your specialist respiratory health doctor.