How POWERbreathe IMT Works

POWERbreathe is a multifunctional Inspiratory Muscle Training (IMT) tool that has a wide use of applications for a wide range of people. IMT is scientifically proven to benefit patients with respiratory illness and healthy people, including athletes at all levels of competition, including Olympians.

POWERbreathe IMT exercises the inspiratory muscles (those used to breathe in), improving their strength and stamina and reducing fatigue.

15 thoughts on “How POWERbreathe IMT Works”

1. Hi!

I’m an amateur cycling!!!
    I have a dream to win a Brazil TT Champion, I was 3 last year and my vo2 is abouve 54, I have 40 years, 15 riding a bike!

Which one I should bike?

2. Hi there! I’m from Romania and I am a singer. I’m training to become an opera soloist, I’m on an early stage though. Which one should I buy?

• Hello Pop and thank you for your enquiry. I would suggest that, unless you’re not particularly physically fit or have a respiratory issue, you go for the POWERbreathe Plus Medium Resistance. In conjunction with that, you may want to have a look at the Flowball too for breath exercising, as recommended by Kari Ragan in her book, A Systematic Approach to Voice. She mentions in her YouTube video about the book, how – and why – she uses the Flowball by POWERbreathe for breathing exercises (watch from approx 37:24mins). I hope that helps Pop, and thank you again for your enquiry. Best wishes to you.

3. Hi
    I am female
    84 years of age
    I have Essential Tremor and a shaky voice
    I think one of these would help me to breath much more efficiently
    I NEED ADVICE FROM YOU.

• Hello Myrna and thank you for your enquiry. I’ve asked a colleague to email you about this, rather than posting something here, so please look out for an email from Duncan Kerr. Best wishes to you.

4. Hello
    I am testing regularly. Marathoner (aim sub 3) who also cycle and have an ironman (aim sub 11) this year. Former swimmer. VO2max 61, 44 years old, female.
    Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

• Hello and thank you for your interest in POWERbreathe IMT. We would recommend any of the K-Series devices, or a Plus Medium Resistance (MR). The reason for the MR as opposed to suggesting the Heavy Resistance (HR) is because the MR has a load range that is vast enough to accommodate your improvements, with the difference between each load being smaller than the HR. Because the difference between the load range on the HR is greater, it’s harder to make a gradual improvement and you may find that you just stop; unable to progress to the next load because of the jump. If you visit the MR page and click on the tab ‘Adjustable Load Selection Range’ you can see the comparison between the MR and HR models. The MR will provide more training opportunity for you than the HR. I hope that helps and thank you again for your interest. Best wishes to you, and stay safe and well.

• Hello David and thank you for your comment. The POWERbreathe-X is not our product but it sounds like it may be purporting to be. I’m sorry we cannot help you in regard to your enquiry because of this.

5. I have the blue powerbreathe device. I have no idea where this fits into the wide and complicated range of your products. I have just turned 78 and am fit, even very fit, for my age. I play tennis twice a week, ski in winter and maintain my fitness jogging and on the X-trainer in the gym.

I find that after about 10 or 15 inhalations/exhalations I get a ‘snorting rattling’ sensation which prevents me going any further. I stop and clear my throat and any saliva in my mouth and start again. However, once this problem starts I find that I can only do about another 3 or 4 breathing cycles before the problem starts again.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Kind regards

• Hello David and thank you for your comment. The ‘snorting rattling’ sensation you experience is usually a sign that the resistance is set too high and is likely why you experience it after 10-15 inhalations. What we suggest it reducing the resistance until you can just about manage the 30 inhalations. Then, when these feel more ‘comfortable’, increase the resistance a quarter turn each time you find you’re easily managing the 30 inhalations.

6. Thank you for this which works for me. I am in fact able to reach 30 inhalations at the higher resistance level, but perhaps not easily enough.

7. I have come across your website when googling about benefits of cycling for the respiratory system. As ironic as it may sound I’m a recreational cyclist (going average 60-100 km per ride on a road bike with pretty intense load) yet I’ve been diagnosed with asthma recently and look very much forward to get your device to both sort out my health issue and improve athletic performance.

I’d go for K5 device I think as I really would like to have analysis and track of performance improvement. I would also add expectoration device as I have to normalise my condition first.

I’ve been prescribed inhalations with corticosteroids for now and really hope PowerBreathe will be the saver for me.

My big question is on what would be the best practice for me as our doctors do not know the device basically.

I would also look into becoming your distributor in Baltic States / Europe.

Kind regards,
    Pavel

• Hello and thank you for your comment and enquiry. I think the best thing for me to do is to ask my colleague, Duncan Kerr, to email you about this, so please look out for an email from him. Thanks again for getting in touch. Best wishes to you.