Breathing properly could just be your magic bullet to improved sports performance and sporting achievements.
In an article about The Dangers of Dysfunctional Breathing, international performance consultant Brandon Marcello, Ph.D., MS, CSCS says, “Having improper breathing form is no different from having improper squat form.”
The article goes on to say that ‘when it comes to physical activity, breathing ineffectively can alter your performance’. Therefore breathing effectively will also alter your performance, but for the better!
POWERbreathe inspiratory muscle training (IMT) exercises your breathing muscles, improving their strength and stamina, reducing fatigue which in turn enables you to train harder, for longer and with less effort which ultimately translates into improved performance.
POWERbreathe IMT has been scientifically proven to:
- Improve inspiratory muscle strength by 31.2%
- Improve inspiratory muscle endurance by 27.8%
- Accelerate recovery during repeated sprints by up to 7% (Romer et al., 2002b)
- Improve cycling time trial performance by 4.6% - equivalent to slashing 3-minutes off a 40k time trial (Romer et al., 2002a)
- Enable participants to cycle for 33% longer and with lower sense of effort
- Improve rowing time trial performance by up to 2.2% - equivalent to slashing 60m in a 2km race (Volianitis et al., 2001)
- Increase swimming performance by up to 3.5% (Kilding et al., 2009)
- Reduce whole body effort during exercise (Tong et al., 2008)